Michael Solis
Michael Solis,
Experience:  Lead Tech at Solis Auto Repair
99786211

Im working on a 2007 Mini a 1.6 turbo I can not hear my fuel

Im working on a 2007 Mini Cooper a 1.6 turbo I can not hear my fuel pump come on and there's there's no voltage at the 2 large wires wen harness is plug to fuel pump the pump dose not do the 3 to 6 Second prime wen key on engine of i probe the fuel pump it work comes on I need to know wich one of the 2 large wires at the fuel pump is the positive there's a brown and a white wire also I suspect it's going to be the fuel pump relay is the relay on this model inthe junction box in the interior and is the relay build into the fues box in othere words I have to replace the fuse box

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive world for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life. Give me a few minutes to review your case, thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have you work on minis before

Yes I have, here is a wiring diagram for your fuel pump, it will be the white that sends voltage. there is also a fuse that gives power to the relay

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Now Michael is the relay part of the fuse box can not be replaced I need a new fuse box

If there is no power at the White/Blue wire, check fuses 20 and 34.

The fuel pump relay is in the fuse panel at the driver's side kick panel. The lower most relay should be the fuel pump relay.

At terminal 30 there should be battery voltage all the time from fuse 20. Terminal 87 should be connected to the White/Blue fuel pump wire. Sending power out on terminal 87 should cause the pump to run.

Terminals 85 and 86 are the control side of the relay. One of them should have battery voltage from fuse 34 with key on. The other terminal should have a ground signal while cranking.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This car has the interior fuse box on the passenger side lower kick panel
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's a R56

ok one moment let me see if I can pull up a diagram for the r56

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Michael here's a wired thing the pump has no voltage doesn't come on no prime or cranking but my spark plugs smell of fuel there soak I don't get it

ok here is the r56 wiring diagram pretty similar, give me more time to research more of the relay, and your not getting voltage but smell fuel on spark plugs? injectors must of injected what little fuel it had left but that is interesting.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yea you know on this European cars with the fuel pump in the back seat you can feel them prime up wen keys switch on and this one nothing won't prime and yet wen I crank it my spark plugs are soak in fuel I don't get it

any dtc codes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No none at all that's what's killing this has a high pressure fuel pump at the cylinder head How does that work look like it turns with the camshaft

here is the k96 fuel pump relay for you, verify all the circuit and let me know what is missing

yea it does, heres a general idea of it & a procedure for removal, just be cautious.

This vehicle uses a high pressure fuel system that requires readings from the fuel pressure sensor with a scan tool.

2. Look at the data for the pressure sensor; there should be about 725 PSI at idle up to a maximum of 1750 PSI at full load.

3. Verify proper supply to the high pressure pump. The in-tank fuel pump should run at a constant 72 PSI.

it is also equipped with a 10 year warranty tsb here that part has been updated

I have to step out for about 20 minutes, will be back if you need anything

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will read all of this thank you for ur help

It was my pleasure answering your question. Now that we have either answered, or somewhat answered the question, I will offer my rating. Please let me know if for some reason you are not satisfied with the results I gave you, let me know because I strive for excellence & a 5 star. If you feel 5 star is not worth it, let me know what else I can do or change. Leaving a bad rating or negative rating only hurts me not the site. So please let me know if there is something I can do for you to earn your 5 star rating. Thank you. Sincerely, Michael.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Michael the relay was bad I replace it just now and connected the negative battery post I could hear the pump prime up strong now im hoping it starts up tomorrow i have to assemble the pump back in tank do u think with the pump not working it kill my spark as well

Thats very good news! as for your question, it depends. Was there no spark as well as no fuel? Was there spark for a short time then no spark? is there spark?

Also helpful tip that I'm sure you already know about these, take good care of that engine, it gets costly for the VANOS to mess up, they share similarities to BMW. Engine will run strong as long as you maintain it & take great care of the fluids.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This what I'm thinking the fuel pump in the tank was not working so I'm guessing what every pressure the high pressure fuel pump had in it was soaking the plugs and possibly killing the spark im guessing
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yea I know I work on bmw a lot most cars I work on is Europeans but this little mini n14 engine it's a wired one for sure

That is a very good educated guess, a possibility.

Or maybe the relay confused the spark internal short maybe?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
very possible I want to thank you for your help thanks for your time have a good night

Any how, hope it starts, goodnight!! & thank you! much appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just try to start it and the pump doesn't prime wired could the pump be bad it's self
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It prime it's self wen I was connecting the battery then didn't do it any more it should prime every time we cycle the key right

Possibility, maybe that's what caused the relay to go out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It I u plug the battery and plug it back in with the ignition of it will prime it self them if I turn ignition on nothing I can wait go back try nothing on the fuse box diagram you sent me it shows the wiring terminal for the fuse box I pull my off and it look badly oxides I bed this cars been flooded before the fuse box could be at fault to im change it in the morning if that's not it well I'm doing the pump

Yea very possible, there has been major floods in our country, so I'm sure those cars will be popping up. I wish I new what the pump amperage specs is suppose to be at, I'm thinking between 5-10 amps

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well on both wire the white and the brown one I think I should have 12volts
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Im thinking if I plug in the battery post and I can hear the pump energized but wen I turn the key on nothing and cycle the key nothing it's either the fuse box cutting out inside or the fuel pump has a short i have a fuse box here so I can't start there if that's not it then has to be the fuel pump what eles can it be

Yea that would be checked first. In the moment the pump wanted to work, I wonder what the amps were showing then, to see if the DME Unit shut it down due to excessive amps Or if its the DME acting up.

Good luck! hope its either the fuse box or the pump.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
See wired thing is the ignition is off and batter negative battery post off I install battery post back on with ignition off and the pump Will energize but wen I turn the ignition on nothing won't energize has to be that fuse box
Awesome, let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Michael good morning can I ask what scan tool your using on minis my scan tool doesn't read DME or any.coding at all please let me know

snap on solus ultra

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have to check they under $3000 u think

3500 plus the euro updates which is like 800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I got the fuel pump to work if I crank it stop and then turn ignition on it energize up so pump is working but still no start is there some thing on this car that would shoot down spark doesn't fell like we're getting spark at all dose this engine come with a eccentric cam sensor like the BMW do

Before I answer that question, I think we would have to open a new question to prevent this one from being flagged, is it ok I contact customer service to see if it is ok?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will open a new one hold on

ok