BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2011 535i "drivetrain malfunction" warning when accelerating…

2011 535i "drivetrain malfunction"...

2011 535i "drivetrain malfunction" warning when accelerating - coming on more often now. Goes away after restart. I ran ISTA and got only one code: 120308 low pressure?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

I replaced air filter, I ran diagnostic tests for waste valves etc but I'm not sure how to visualize these things no I haven't. The car has 40k miles on it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 535i yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I began running the ISTA troubleshooting and went through the steps but I couldn't tell if the turbo components were or how to see them. My air filter was really dirty- I replaced it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Light still comes on when heavy acceleration and not usual power

9/19/2017
JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech

Can you provide the last 7 digits of the VIN of the vehicle please?

Thanks, JP

C875111
Do you have a smoke machine to check the intake system for leaks? Does the turbocharger wastegate have a vacuum line going to it?
No smoke machine. Yes it does have a vacuum line
Does the turbocharger appear to make any noise or does the car smoke on acceleration?
JayPutelis
I have black soot in the tailpipes but I'm not sure if that's normal or not. No turbos sound like they always have, nothing weird.
I found someone to perform the smoke test, they are doing it now. how hard is it to change a waste gate if that's the problem? Will that tell me which wastegate it is? And any programming that needs done for that if that what it is?
Phone call session started
Hi- I bought the EPDW (pressure converter) solenoid. Any pointers where it's at for sure?? I see something under the black air intake 3/4 way back the engine midway down. Or is it up front more? I can't find good dyagram or pic to help.