JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech
Experience:  12 yrs Experience; ASE Master Technician; ASE L1 Certified
31247390

2011 535i "drivetrain malfunction" warning when accelerating

2011 535i "drivetrain malfunction" warning when accelerating - coming on more often now. Goes away after restart. I ran ISTA and got only one code: 120308 low pressure?
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: I replaced air filter, I ran diagnostic tests for waste valves etc but I'm not sure how to visualize these things no I haven't. The car has 40k miles on it
JA: Are you fixing your 535i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I began running the ISTA troubleshooting and went through the steps but I couldn't tell if the turbo components were or how to see them. My air filter was really dirty- I replaced it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Light still comes on when heavy acceleration and not usual power

Can you provide the last 7 digits of the VIN of the vehicle please?

Thanks, JP

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
C875111
Do you have a smoke machine to check the intake system for leaks? Does the turbocharger wastegate have a vacuum line going to it?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No smoke machine. Yes it does have a vacuum line
Does the turbocharger appear to make any noise or does the car smoke on acceleration?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have black soot in the tailpipes but I'm not sure if that's normal or not. No turbos sound like they always have, nothing weird.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I found someone to perform the smoke test, they are doing it now. how hard is it to change a waste gate if that's the problem? Will that tell me which wastegate it is? And any programming that needs done for that if that what it is?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi- I bought the EPDW (pressure converter) solenoid. Any pointers where it's at for sure?? I see something under the black air intake 3/4 way back the engine midway down. Or is it up front more? I can't find good dyagram or pic to help.

I uploaded a picture of the location. It's right next to the valve cover right above the exhaust manifold. Let me know if that helps.

-JP