BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

There is sound coming from my radio and I can scroll through…

Customer Question
There is sound coming...

There is sound coming from my radio and I can scroll through the stations using the steering wheel controls but there is no display on the head unit

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the car been driving lately?

Fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2001, x5, 3.0

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to. I've checked the fuses in the glove box and passenger side rear. Got a new head unit connected too but still nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope, thanks

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: BMW
9/18/2017
BMW Mechanic: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive world for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life. Let me know if I can help!

Do you have a scan tool?

How old is the battery?

Hi Michael, I don't know what a scan tool is and have no idea how old the battery is. I purchased the car recently and the battery looks to be reasonably new.
I removed the head unit and can still scroll through the preset stations using the steering wheel controls?

I may not have time to look into this until tomorrow, if you like I can opt out and see if another tech can assist you in the mean time. I have a lot of work to finish today.

Thanks Michael, I'm in no hurry. FYI I bought a replacement headset and plugged it in but there was still no power to the headset?

ok I'll review everything tomorrow

Try performing a battery reset by disconnecting the cables and tying the cables together for about 30 minutes and then reconnect to the battery and see if the screen works.

It appears the navigation module has failed.

The navigation module is the component in the trunk that uses the navigation DVD for location processing. This same module is what provides the information for the display up front. Everything is connected by a bus system for communication.

Thanks Michael, I'll give that a go. Does it matter that I don't have navigation?

It should not matter, if it looks like this. If it does not, may need to review everything again with the vin number, try the battery disconnect procedure first.