BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

04 x3 2.5 i6 died while driving, crank but no start. No

Customer Question
power to fuel pump and...
04 x3 2.5 i6 died while driving, crank but no start. No power to fuel pump and no spark.
You had helped me a couple of months ago, sorry to say replacing the crankshaft position sensor didn't work. We still have no spark or power to the fuel pump.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: BMW
9/16/2017
BMW Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

A bad crank sensor will cause a lack of spark but would not affect the fuel pump. If the fuel pump doesn't run either then the engine controller almost surely is not awake. It will require some electrical testing to determine what is wrong.

A scan tool needs to be used to see if the ECM will communicate. If not then it's powers and grounds need to be tested to determine if the failure is internal or it is down due to a loss of power or ground.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

I have a scan tool, and had no problem checking codes. Unfortunately I dont have the codes anymore, but from what I'm told they were emission related. So I will plug my scanner back in and check to see if it connects the ECM? If it does... Then what?
Just so you know, Ive got 20 + years of heavy line mechanical experience. So I can follow directions without having to explain every little thing.... Thanks

You're welcome!

Ok, I scanned it ECM is present... Has pending codes p2401, p2419, p1430, p1413. I believe those are emission related.. Whats next?
BMW Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago

How are you testing for power at the fuel pump?

I remove the inspection cover check power at the plug on the white w/blue and brown with a test light. Checked unpluged and connected. Note: the wires were larger then the rest...

Just with the key on? There won't be power at the pump if you turn the key on and then go back and check.

No I tested while cranking and also cycling the key

Have you looked at cam and crank signals while cranking to see if all are present and in sync?

No I have not, Now just to clarify, check via scanner / datastream... Correct?

Correct.

Ok, my scanner is old... To do anything im using the global obd 2 option. Looking at the data stream I see no cam position sensor or crank position sensor on the list... would it be listed under a different name or description? Remember I was Heavy line not diagnostic....lol key word WAS...

Does it at least show engine RPM?

while cranking value was 0

Where did the crank sensor come from?

Was any testing done before replacing it?

I think Napa or O'Reilly's.... No testing was preformed just replace it
Is there an ohms test 4 crankshaft position sensor? If so what is the values?

An aftermarket sensor will cause repeat issues in most cases.

Checking sensor resistance won't tell you anything about the sensor's ability to create a signal unless the sensor is open. The issue with aftermarket sensors is they usually don't create a clean square wave.

With the sensor unplugged and key on what voltage do you see on each of the three wires?

what your telling me is.... original crankshaft position sensor failed then we replaced it with one that may not work due to its lower quality? Give me a bit on testing the voltage.. I will check asap. And get back with you. Thank you so much

Yes, it's very possible that the original sensor failed and you replaced it with one that doesn't work. If it's not showing RPM while cranking then you're missing crank signal due to a wiring problem or the sensor itself.

What voltage am I looking for on those wires?

Check the voltage on each wire an also check resistance to ground and let me know what you find.

Sorry I hadn't got back to you. I got the flu, and its kicked my butt.. Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow. So we can continue...

Not a problem.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician