BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

The fuel gauge reads 1/4 tank of gas then runs out of gas it…

Customer Question
The fuel gauge reads...

The fuel gauge reads 1/4 tank of gas then runs out of gas it is

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No it runs great plugs replaced coil packs replaced fuelpump and sending unit replaced

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2005 x5 3.0i

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i will try if not to bad or hard to do

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Plugs were replaced coil pack was replaced fuel pump was replaced fuel sending unit was replaced idle air control valve was replaced still the fuel gauge donst work ran the test on it the gauge functions when tested

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: BMW
9/14/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 8 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Is the tank actually empty when it reads 1/4?
i think the sending unit side still has gas not sure but when it dies i add gas and it fires right up afterwards
i haven't looked at that part yet
when it hits 1/4 tank at first im sure there is gas still
then it will stay at that mark till it runs out of gas
i have to set the trip meter to make sure i am still good and carry 5 gallons of gas if needed for now
but no a great idea
please cancel request and refund paypal
this is taking way to long to get some simple answers
and to charge even more for phone calls is even worse
thanks for the scam
Roger, BMW Master Tech