BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2002 BMW X5. When I turn to the left and then

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 BMW X5. When I turn to the left and then accelerate out of the corner, my car rattles around the front tire or front left side of engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

I think it's coming from just above the front left wheel? It's been going on about two weeks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not a chance.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: BMW
9/12/2017
BMW Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'd begin by checking for worn suspension joints - jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do this for all 4 corners) and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault. If theres play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.
Now with the car jacked up on that side with the wheel about 2 inches off the ground use a steel bar under the wheel and lever the wheel up and down slightly, you should be able to look at the end of the axle and see if the suspension arm is moving up and down separately to the axle.If so replace the bush

To feel if there's a worn strut top bearing then lightly hold the spring by hand and have your assistant move the steering from left to right with the wheel on the ground - a worn bearing will feel 'notchy' through the spring. The wheel needs to be on the ground for the test to load up the bearing

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you