BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2007 X3 E83 with 130K miles. Recently the idle

Customer Question
I have a 2007...

I have a 2007 X3 E83 with 130K miles. Recently the idle started to fluctuate at red lights, stop signs ect., it seems worst with a load on the engine, i.e. A/C on, and in gear. In park the symptom is still there but hardly noticeable. I scanned the engine and got a P 1771 CAN Torque Plausibility code. What does this code mean and how do I fix the issue??

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the torque specs?

I think we are talking about two different things.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I thought it was an unmetered air leak in my throttle body intake tube. Made sure all connections were secure and tight. This may have helped a little, but it's still there.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. Just trying to see if I have a tranny communication error or an unmetered air leak issue.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: BMW
9/12/2017
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 11 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If you did not have the codes checked with a fully compatible scan tool or computer that can plug in and read all computers in your model this needs done.There may be another code set in a different computer that the scan tool that was used to retrieve these codes did not see and this needs checked as in allot of cases there will be another code set with this code.

If no other codes are set in any other computers this code indicates the engine management system is unable to keep up with the torque request.This can be due to a faulty accelerator pedal position sensor on the gas pedal itself with it needing replaced.You would need to have this signal checked with a compatible scan tool to see if the signal is fluctuating with pedal press as it should properly to see if it needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Thanks Pete !
Let me look into this, and I'll get back with you.
Thomas

Your welcome.If I do not reply right away when you respond I will as soon as I can.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete