Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Bought a damage BMW x3 hit s onthing broke the passenger the

Customer Question

Bought a damage BMW x3 hit s onthing broke the passenger the rod inside the boot on the steering rack. With the car jacked up I can't turn the wheel left and right by hand even with the tie rod free. What is causing that?
JA: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?
Customer: Yes but it should turn freely when disconnected from the rack correct?
JA: What year is your X3?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you fixing your X3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I have only pulled the rim off which was bent backwards in to the tire well. After seeing the tie rod separated and moving freely in the boot I expected to be able to grab the rotor and turn it to turn right but it's frozen
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I will be replacing the whole knee and wondering if bent comlonents could be leaving it frozen
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

Can you send me some pics of the damage so I can see what is going on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If the picture went through you can see its not wildly damaged the wheel took a solid hit and was shifted back in to the wheel well
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Inside the tie rod boot the tie rod is broken moving up and down freely when I grab the rotor with both hands the whole thing will not move left or right it's stuck in thatfv position
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The assembly should move freely with tie rod disconnected correct, left and right at least
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

How far up and down will the tie rod move?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can touch the top of the boot and the Bolton of the boot, havnt pulled the boot yhet but it feels completely severed in there
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Bottom*
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The driver side wheel moves freely left and right when I turn the wheel
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

If the strut was damaged it can keep the wheel from turning left and right. Can you send me a pic of the top of the strut from under the hood?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can take it tomorrow but yes the strut may have been bent back slightly, I see some oil on it that may have leaked out
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also have a small buzz sound and feeling in the cab while car is jacked up when shifting to reverse and into drive but into park has no sound or vibration.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Feel the buzzing vibration for about 1 second after shifting into revere or drive. Front is jacked up and brake is on. Have not been able tonactually drive it yet and test due to damage. Does that vibration indicate a problem?
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

I would need to see in the engine compartment to be able to see what may be going on. It sounds like the engine mounts may have been damaged as well. When you put the car in drive does the engine move alot or rise up on one side?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is just briefly when putting into gear, a buzz and vibration com ing from underneath me that can be heard and felt in the cab
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's all wheel drive so I can Jack the rear uo tomorrow and actually let it spin and see if the engine moves. But it seems more like a transmission issue?
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

It sounds like the transmission mount may be bad or a broken engine mount. Can you put the wheel back on the car and take it off the jack, start the engine and hold the brakes very firmly, put the transmission in drive and rev the engine up a little and see if the engine moves? See if one side rises or if the front of the engine noise dives. If one side rises up, that engine mount is broken, if the front of the engine nose dives, then the transmission mount is bad.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I will check that!
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

I will be looking for the pics in the morning.