BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My 2012 BMW 528i XDrive died at an intersection 2 weeks ago.

Customer Question
My 2012 BMW 528i...

My 2012 BMW 528i XDrive died at an intersection 2 weeks ago. Couldn't restart it. Had to tow it with dollies on the rear wheels. My mechanic says the

Mechanic's Assistant: Besides this, what condition is the car in?

My mechanic says the engine is done because it seized up with 118,000 miles. I had just come back from a driving trip from Palm Beach Florida to Cincinnati Ohio for a wedding.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 228i xDrive yourself? What have you tried so far?

The car was in good condition at the time. He can't understand why this would happen. Would the bi-turbo engine be suspect?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Would a dealer have the proper diagnostic tools? My mechanic says that isn't the problem. He tried to turn the engine manually and it wouldn't budge

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
9/8/2017
BMW Mechanic: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

The dealer does have all the diagnostic equipment needed. But if the engine will not turn over by hand then there is a very good chance that the motor is seized. Although it could not hurt for a second opinion to have a dealer take a look at it. You are not obligated to fix it, even after the dealer looks at it.

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for an example of how to rate . Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.

Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

Hi. Just checking in to see how you are doing and if you have made progress or need more info. If so just respond back. Otherwise please take a quick moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hurricane Irma affected us here in Florida so apologies for my late reply. We just got back our power and internet connection.
My follow up question would be if running out of gas due to faulty fuel sensor ( indicating there's gas when there isn't ) would affect the engine being able to turn manually?

No problem. Hope you and your family are all ok. And no. The engine should turn manually all the time. If your fuel level sensor is incorrect then the vehicle can run out of fuel even if the gauge is showing some in the tank.