BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Second opinion] If a transmission is installed wrong will…

Customer Question
second opinion] If a transmission...
second opinion] If a transmission is installed wrong will the car start? I started it and a loud grinding noise started, I then put it in reverse and a whining sound came from around the flywheel area. Could there be a problem with the transmission? And if so what exactly?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: BMW
9/7/2017
BMW Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

can you tell me what the make. model year and engine size and fuel type this is please?

also is it an automatic or manual transmission

2001 bmw 330i 3.0 L 6 Cylinder
Automatic

Hello

OK 1st thing to ask is has the fluid level been checked and what fluid was used?

and is this a true automatic with a gear selector or the SMG automated manual?

from your description it sounds like either there's no or very low fluid in the box ( if its a normal auto) or if its an SMG then the clutch may need calibration

Well I just had it rebuilt and I was in the process of putting fluid in it. When I started it it made that loud grinding noise. It sounded like it was coming from the flywheel area.

hello

so this is an auto then?

what fluid are you using and how much has gone in so far?

it's an auto.
It's pentosin fluid. I got it from a NAPA location. And maybe a liter or two then it started dripping out of the fill hole.

Hello

OK so so if you run the engine and move the gear selector through every position and let it sit in each position for 5 seconds

then recheck the level

if its still full ( running out of the fill hole) then it sounds like the transmission has not been built correctly as what your're describing sounds like bearing noise on the input shaft

As soon as I start the engine it doesn't drip out anymore.

hello

ok try running it for a few minutes and move the selector through each position

then switch off and check the level again

Okay. I'll try that

understood

let me know how you get on