Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

Second opinion] If a transmission is installed wrong will

Customer Question

second opinion] If a transmission is installed wrong will the car start? I started it and a loud grinding noise started, I then put it in reverse and a whining sound came from around the flywheel area. Could there be a problem with the transmission? And if so what exactly?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

can you tell me what the make. model year and engine size and fuel type this is please?

also is it an automatic or manual transmission

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2001 bmw 330i 3.0 L 6 Cylinder
Automatic
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

OK 1st thing to ask is has the fluid level been checked and what fluid was used?

and is this a true automatic with a gear selector or the SMG automated manual?

from your description it sounds like either there's no or very low fluid in the box ( if its a normal auto) or if its an SMG then the clutch may need calibration

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well I just had it rebuilt and I was in the process of putting fluid in it. When I started it it made that loud grinding noise. It sounded like it was coming from the flywheel area.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

hello

so this is an auto then?

what fluid are you using and how much has gone in so far?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it's an auto.
It's pentosin fluid. I got it from a NAPA location. And maybe a liter or two then it started dripping out of the fill hole.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

OK so so if you run the engine and move the gear selector through every position and let it sit in each position for 5 seconds

then recheck the level

if its still full ( running out of the fill hole) then it sounds like the transmission has not been built correctly as what your're describing sounds like bearing noise on the input shaft

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As soon as I start the engine it doesn't drip out anymore.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

hello

ok try running it for a few minutes and move the selector through each position

then switch off and check the level again

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay. I'll try that
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

understood

let me know how you get on