BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I recently purchased a 1998 (dec 97 built 540i and it had…

Customer Question
I recently purchased a...

I recently purchased a 1998 (dec 97 built 540i and it had engine probles blowing fuse f1 in engine fuse block I replaced the fuse and it burned a wire through my harness around my right side cover then back into the DME ive ordered another wire harness and DME to be reprogrammed Ive replaced all parts that threw codes when fuse was out except crank sensor and coolant temp sensor is do you know of a common issue with this fuse when it was blown my car started and ran @ 1600rpm with fuse in it started ran up to 750 rpm drop down to 500 then 300 hesitate rough then stall and blow fuse again

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the connectors on the sensor itself? It's important that they not be loose or corroded.

Yes I notised my DME pins very corroded suggesting the DME might have been the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 540i yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm doing work myself I have replaced plugs knock sensors cam sensor maf sensor idle air control valve ccv cover cleaned injectors and replaced engine intake manifold and valve cover gaskets

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

And throttle position sensors

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 5 days by:
9/12/2017
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 11 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Most likely it was a shorted wire leading from the fuse to the DME or an internal electrical fault in the DME itself that has caused this fault here with the harness and DME needing replaced.This is usually the most common issue here with the harness most common out of both of these.

I would check for any shorted wiring or components leading from this fuse for any issues.If any issues are found they will need repaired to resolve this fault.If no other issues are found I would install the harness only first then install a new fuse and see if it shorts out leaving the new DME unplugged.It it does not short out then plug in the DME and if it still does not short out have the DME programmed and you should be good to go from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete