BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I have a check engine light on. They diagnosed it as Exhaust

Customer Question
Hello, i have a check...
Hello, i have a check engine light on. They diagnosed it as Exhaust Vanos Mechanism Fault 2A87
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It was on it and it went back off by itself. I took it to two different mechanics and they told me different ways to fix it
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 2009/328i
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nope, not trying to fix it myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: This morning, i took it to another mechanic and he told me the error code is POO15 now. However, the check engine light is no longer on.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: BMW
9/7/2017
BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 2 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 2 months ago

Do you also have any engine performance issues or just the code is present?

The code is present. I was told two different codes at two different times. Now the light went off by itself.
The car drives the same.
BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 2 months ago

Both the codes 2A87 and p0015 are same codes, depending if you use generaic or vehicle specific sensor to read it. Since there is no performace issue, i wil recommend to check the engine oil/filter level and quality as VANOS works with engine oil pressure. If good, The problem could be a failing VANOS solenoid

How much would it cost to replace VANOS solenoid?
The dealer recommend Exhaust Vanos Camshaft Unit, which will cost $1400 or $2200 with exhaust bearing ledge
BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 2 months ago

If it is just the VANOS solenoid, it should cost approx 250$. I doubt the vanos camshaft unit needs replaced as it is not gining any performance issue.

Roger, BMW Master Tech