BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My dealer mentioned that the main engine accessory drive…

Customer Question
My dealer mentioned that...

My dealer mentioned that the main engine accessory drive belt showed signs of cracking. They were not indicating that it needed immediate replacement, but I would like to arrange this, with a local shop (because the car is now 275 miles plus a ferry ride from the dealer). I would like to know the BMW part number, and if there are any concerns the local shop should be aware of when installing. The car is a 2002 745 Li (and, believe it or not, I am the original owner).

Mechanic's Assistant: What shape is the drive belt in? Do you know if it needs to be replaced, or just adjusted?

Replaced, given the cracking. There is no indication of slippage, no screeching under the hood under acceleration when cold, for example. I have not personally examined the belt so can't tell you the shape.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2002 745Li

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 745li yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not doing this myself. A local shop will do it. I am trying to get the BMW part number for it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

If there is anything tricky about the installation of the new belt.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/6/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
What is the last 7 of the vin?
Hello? Can you please provide the last 7 of the vin?