BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I accidently put engine oil in the steering oil unit. what…

Customer Question
I accidently put engine...

I accidently put engine oil in the steering oil unit. what should i do?

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

About 5 months ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2007 750i

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 750i yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet, happened late yesterday eve. I was going to syphon the power steering fluid out, but i had not done it yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: BMW
9/3/2017
BMW Mechanic: camerontech, Auto Mechanic replied 11 months ago
camerontech
camerontech, Auto Mechanic

hi there,

im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech

this is actually a quite common issue that I see a few times a year.

I would not be too concerned if you get it out asap. keeping it in over a long period of time can dammage the system and swell seals
your power steering system will need a drain and flush.

i would purchase a couple of large bottles of power steering fluid, syphone the tank out, fill it and run it for a few mins.

repeat this untill you have gone through 2 to 3 large bottles of fluid at least.

this will remove the majority of it out and dilute it.

the only system in your vehicle that is absloute doomed to adding oil is your brake system.
give it a thorough flush and it will be ok

let me know if i can assist you any further and id be happy to help!

cam

hi there

please take a moment to rate me as it is important for my page!

thanks and i appreciate positive ratings!

cam