BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Check engine light came on, when engine turned off

Check engine light came...

Check engine light came on, when engine turned off "trans-fail safe" indicator...cleared same day...

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Solid light

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2004, E53

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes...nothing since it cleared...trying to surmise a direction to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't believe so

8/28/2017
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

1- we need to check fluid level an quality ?

2-when it shows trans fail safe ,does trans stop shifting ,lack of power ?

3- any trans fluid leaks ?

4- did this happened suddenly, or gradually , ?

5- after you clear the code ,how long does it take to come back ?

6- do you have a bmw scanner or equivalent ?

]

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Hello Chad,Thanks for the quick response. I did check the trn fluid in the res; wasn't driving, happened upon start up; turned it off, drove normally (according to my gf as I didn't immediately drive it; no leaks; suddenly, upon start up; drove it 50 miles today, no code; no BMW scanner.Chris
Could this be indication of something going bad..maybe a dumb? If so, what?? Researching this error has led me to many things that could be causing this. Think next step is get a scanner hooked up...thoughts?
replaced battery 6 months ago, no probs

based on what you describing ,the tcm module could be the issue here ,but we need to scan it

50 miles is a long way to drive on it if there was internal failure and the fact it reset and go 50 miles ,sounds like when the module is getting hot it is throwing the trans is safe mode or limp mode situation .

click on link to view pdf file and module location under hood ,unplug it and inspect pins for any burned making poor contact ,spray crc electrical contact cleaner ,clear & retest

this is the pin out on the tcm plug for your testing

Chad Farhat

Thank You For The Rating :)

IF you need my Assistance in The Future on a Different issue , Just start your Question with ( FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY)

or Click on the link Below to Enter My Profile & Under My Picture Profile There is a Box That Says (Ask Your Question)

It will be Highlighted in Orange, Type your Question in The Box & It will be sent straight To Me to Assist you .

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800

Hi Chad, So the error hasn't recurred, not once. : / Thoughts?

well , if not broke do not fix , that is good news , make sure u do highway and city miles

if it does let me know

post will stay open between us

Chad