BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

ENGINE FAULT LIGHT IS ALWAYS ON DESPITE CHANGING THE CAM…

ENGINE FAULT LIGHT IS...

ENGINE FAULT LIGHT IS ALWAYS ON DESPITE CHANGING THE CAM SENSOR TWICE!

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON THE DASHBOARD

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2000 316i M43 GASOLINE ENGINE

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

YES, CHANGED THE CAMSHAFT SENSOR TWICE, THE IDLE VALVE, ALL THE FILTERS, AND OIL OF COURSE

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I HAVE CHANGED THE SPARK PLUGS, AND MY LITTLE FAULT CODE READER ALSO SAYS FUEL TRIM FAULT?

8/26/2017
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

your basic code reader ,shpuld have given you a generic fault code number ,what are these fault code numbers

the fuel trim fault , was it indicating a negative numbver like - 10% or was a positive number + 15 % , do you know

not sure if the scaner u have can read live data or not

MAF sensor been checked ,cleaned or replaced ?

if you unplug maf ,does engine rpm surges up

lets start here & we go from there

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Hi
The scanner is an Autel maxiscan. The MAF has been changed for a new one, the camshaft sensor code is 0340 and there is no +/- figure for the fuel trim , the code is 0170 haven't tried unpluging the MAF.Tom

hey tom , unplugged and let me know

the 170 could be related to o2 sensors are they original ?

Hi Chad
I disconected the Maf and the engine coughed and died, the O2 sensors are original as far as I know. 17 years old??
That tells MAF working , I would do a smoke test and fuel pressuer test if it passes and changer all the sensors
Sorry for the wait I lost my interest connection ,
Let me know what happens
Read below how to get back in touch anytime you wantPlease Use The Stars on Top of Your screen To Rate me so I can be compensated for my time and resources .
If more help is needed just reply back and we can continue
You can copy the link page and pasted in your browser and will open up the conversation between us for any follow up questions you may have in this issue.
I'm online Daily from 7 AM till late Eastern Time Zone .Thank You ***** Certified Technician
Chad Farhat
Thank you for your help.
I will organise the things you said and let you knowTom Brockbanks

Hey Tom

That sounds good

Keep me updated I will try to help you with it

I'm online Daily from 7 AM till late Eastern Time Zone .

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat