BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2007 BMW Z4 that will not start even though I just…

Customer Question
I have a 2007...

I have a 2007 BMW Z4 that will not start even though I just put in a new battery. There are a couple of clicks, not rapid, when I turn the key in the ignition. Dash lights, headlights etc. work. In May the water pump had to be replaced. Several weeks later I had to jump start the car (it had been extremely hot here in AZ) and the car worked for a couple of times. I was out of the state until recently, and when I returned the car would not turn over again. I checked voltage, which was a little low, and purchased a new battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

How do you do that?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Z4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying to get enough information to know whether I can fix it myself. As I said, I installed a new battery

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/25/2017
BMW Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 11 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Okay, so if the battery and cables are ALL good, then the starter is the most likely cause of this no start issue.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

I don't have a lot of skills, but my son who is an engineer is visiting, and perhaps could be helpful.

The payment failed, possibly a fault of ours. We can still work here after you have rated me 5 stars.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron