BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Recently redid front brakes on '03 530i. Drives fine in town…

Recently redid front brakes...

Recently redid front brakes on '03 530i. Drives fine in town but first time I hit brakes in mountains, downhill @ 70 mph, steering wheel bounced and vibrated. No loss of control but not normal braking behavior at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the car been driving lately?

No problems with handling or braking until brake wear indicator reported that front brakes needed re-lining. They were due, so nothing suspicious. Car has 145K miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 530i yourself? What have you tried so far?

All brake work done at local shop that "specializes" in European cars. I've had satisfactory service performed by them in the past, but not brakes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's what I believe is pertinent.

8/20/2017
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Did you replace just the front pads? Or pads and rotors?
Both
No live phone.
Disc rotor was removed and replaced. also charged for brake pad set and "brake disk coated high carbon" Presumably BMW parts, but I've had trouble with other shops that tried to use (unsuccessfully) non-BMW parts.
Do you have an invoice that has part numbers for what was installed?
No
Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you
.
what you have is the telltale sign of warped brake rotors. I suspect that BMW parts were not used and the rotors have warped quickly. This can be checked in a straigh forward fashion by any shop.
The only other possibility would be some kind of wear or play in the front end suspension, although this is not likely.
.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle...
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Returned BMW to shop. As we suspected, they used non-BMW parts. I had them replace rotors with BMW, which they did without objection. No recurrence of problem since, but I'll know better when I use brakes next on fast downhill. I think/hope problem is solved. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.