BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

My BMW 740il trunk won't close, When I try and close it

My BMW 740il trunk won't...
My BMW 740il trunk won't close
JA: What exactly is happening to the trunk?
Customer: When I try and close it won't latch and doesn't make the noise it usually does
JA: What year is your 740il?
Customer: 2000
JA: Are you fixing your 740il yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
8/18/2017
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What usually causes this is either something stuck in the latch or the latch itself at fault.Inspect the trunk latch for being damaged or being closed already.Look at the locking arm of the latch ( little swing arm in the middle bottom of the latch) and see if it is swung over in the closed position.If it is use the key or trunk release and a flat blade tool at the same time to try and swing it open to then close the trunk.If it will not swing open or if it is already swung open then the latch itself will need replaced.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxewc2nl2m8dbyq/t-08-18.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvu1twesao44k8x/tr-08-18.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

It was in closed position and could be opened with your hand

Are you saying you were able to re open it and then close the trunk?In some cases the latch lever/arm can be re opened with your hand but in other cases it requires opening with the key or release and using a flat blade tool to swing over the arm.If you need anything else let me know.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Unfortunately I am unable to place a call on this here myself but others see you have requested a call and may still call on this here.I can however continue here.

But I can continue here.Do you still need help with this is it still not closing and latching?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Still not closing and since no call is there still a $26 charge

I can continue here instead.You can also speak to customer care on any charge related issues:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Is the latch then locking and unlocking but it still does not latch on the trunk striker at all?

Does not lock or unlock

O.k.,this does indicate there is a fault with the latch itself.It fails mechanically and causes this issue here.I have seen this several times before and had to replace the faulty latch.It should come down when closing and contact the striker and lock to close the trunk lid but if it is not locking then the latch itself does need replaced.

Thanks Pete

Thank you

Your welcome

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
SuperDave
SuperDave, auto technician
Phone call session started
peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician