BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

A 4x4 cymbal with a break indicated light came on with

engine fail safe indication.... What...
A 4x4 cymbal with a break indicated light came on with engine fail safe indication.... What exactly does this mean and can I drive my car, the light first came on a week ago and then went off and came back on this week
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: The break fluid level is good , how ever it has not been changed in a few years....by the way the first time this indication light came on was last week right after my car inspection and the mechanic ask me did I want to flush my break fluid......never had a problem before that.....could that be the problem and can I still drive my car.... I had the feeling he was just try to get me to spend money at that time
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 2005 318 bow x5
JA: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't had anything to fix , when I have issues I take it to a qualified mechanic
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at the moment
8/12/2017
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
Have any diagnostics been carried out?
No
I gave info to get a diognosis from you
These warnings mean that there is a fault which is impacting the four wheel drive / traction control system as well as the engine management system. These warnings are generic and the only way to know what underlying fault is the trigger will be to have the fault logs scanned from the cars computer with a high end scan tool. Yes you can drive but engine failsafe is designed to allow you to drive to the garage for repair, not to continue driving as normal. You should take it in asap. Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Did you have additional questions?
What does it mean if light went for a week and then came back on
It means the fault was not being recognized for a period, and then the same or a different fault returned. It is not uncommon for issues to be intermittent. Please do not forget to click on a positive rating
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert