BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I put a centrifugal supercharger on my E39 530, and I'm not…

Customer Question
Hi, I put a...

Hi, I put a centrifugal supercharger on my E39 530, and I'm not getting the advertised power above 5000rpm. The S/C dealer is 12+ hours away, and he asked me to make sure the MAF sensor connector is at the top of the intake. It's now at the 3 o'clock position, looking back from the front of the car, because the wiring harness is too short to reach the new position of the MAF. ? can the wiring harness to the MAF sensor be lengthened by splicing, or would that change the sensor's input somehow?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine stall right after starting? And what about hesitation or jerking during acceleration?

Hesitation, yes. Stall after starting, no.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 530?

2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 530 yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far, just rotated the MAF from 6 o'clock to 3 o'clock.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

S/C delivers 6-7 psi boost, no waste gate.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 2 days by:
8/10/2017
BMW Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

Yes, you can splice extra wire in to reach the new location and it will not hurt anything. What you'll need to do is cut the wires where necessary, add in the extra wire, solder the splices and seal them with heat shrink tubing.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician