peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

I am having an issue removing the alternator from my 2007

I am having an issue removing the alternator from my 2007 335i. The Bentley manual is telling me that I have to loosen 3 13mm bolts from the ac compressor bracket to get it free. Is that true? I can't see the bolts there referring to either. Can you help? I almost have it out but the manual is very general about this step and the picture looks like its taken with the engine out of the car.
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Below is the information I show on replacing the alternator on your model here.

Necessary preliminary tasks:
- Switch off ignition.
- Disconnect battery earth lead.
- Remove charge air duct.
- Remove alternator drive belt.

NOTE: In order to remove the alternator, it is necessary to remove the air-conditioning compressor for the air conditioning system.

In so doing:
- Do not draw off A/C system refrigerant.
- Do not detach refrigerant lines from A/C compressor.
- Do not remove A/C compressor; instead, remove from bracket only and place to one side.
- Remove A/C compressor from bracket.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pna8li56385tp69/al-08-06.gif?dl=0

NOTE: For purposes of improved clarity, illustrations and description show A/C compressor removed.

Release bolts a few turns until bracket (1) is loose. Do not remove bracket (1).
Tightening torque 64 52 5AZ.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l7sxo1mmzclsks0/alt-08-06.gif?dl=0

Unlock connector (1) and remove.
Remove protective cap and release nut underneath.
Tightening torque 12 42 1AZ.
Remove positive battery cable (2).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0m4o4k96kguse1/alts-08-06.gif?dl=0

Release screws.
Remove bracket (1) and alternator (2).
Reinstall is the reverse

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Pete,
Thanks for pulling all this info together, but this is straight out of my Bentley manual. I can't see any bolts like in the first link you sent They look to be on the lower side. If they are, I don't think I can access them with the engine in the car. Because of the fender wall. Do you have any other advice? Have you ever replaced one of these?

Unfortunately I am unable to place a call on this here myself but others see you have requested a call and may still call on this here.I can however continue here.

These bolts usually have to be accessed from under the vehicle.I have dealt with and replaced some of the components on this engine before and remember this being a right squeeze to gain access to these.On some models I have had to loose the engine mount bolts and lift the engine with a jack carefully to access them.Unfortunately this is all my info shows me on this model here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you tell me if I remove the oil filter housing will that loosen anything up to free it?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Its too the left of the alternator and not sure If that would free it at will to get it out.

Have you removed the ac compressor and compressor bracket at all yet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did find one maybe two bolts I think are holding it in. The problem is if I can't get to the third it still might not come loose
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
they are facing down toward the driverside wheel.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
front wheel
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
has anyone tried that instead?

Unfortunately this is the only info I show on this here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete