BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

PO54b, 2012 328i, Code popped. I brought scanner home from…

Customer Question
2012 328i Mechanic's Assistant:...

2012 328i

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 328i yourself? What have you tried so far?

Code popped. I brought scanner home from work. That is our code

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

No noise at the moment, cam isn't coming into contact with anything. Slight squeal from belt possibly, I wasn't there while it was going

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: BMW
8/1/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 6 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

this code is cold start camshaft B position timing over-retarded

this is a somewhat vague emissions code and could have a few possible causes. The most likely would be a failing vanos adjustment unit, but it could possibly also be a bad vanos solenoid or eccentric shaft sensor.

It would be ideal to invest in a proper scan and diagnostic with a BMW tool that can reveal more information about the true fault before replacing any parts

if you need a good non dealer option to cut down on costs, check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle...

Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert