BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2003 BMW Z4 convertible. I accidentally pushed

I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 BMW Z4 convertible. I accidentally pushed shopping bags too far into the trunk and the "plate" that has to be down for the top to retract was pushed up. I brought it t a mechanic who wants to sell me a new motor and I know that is not what it needs (yet). He could not lower the "plate." He also couldn't find the fuse box when I asked him to check the fuses, so... Is ther a simple way to lower the plate so the top will work? I read th manual and it said to turn the handles inward and it should pop back into place. It didn't. Do they want the top of the handles turned inward or the bottom of the handles turned inward.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.

Thank you very much.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Z4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I never got a manual with the car. Just a small Get started guide.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

8/2/2017
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the plate tracks or any of the components is damaged or bent in any way this will cause this issue here.The palate and tracks need checked to see if any are bent or damaged needing re shaped or repaired to resolve this fault.If this was already done and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Your answer is exactly what I think, too. However, I think I need to find another mechanic because this one had the chance to do that and didn't. I will let you know how I make out once I find a BMW mechanic in my area.
The delayed reply wasn't your fault and I appreciate that you took the time to reply.

Your welcome

This does sound to be the cause here.Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Thanks Pete