Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

2010 bmw z4: vin WBALM5C50AE377239 for an unknown reason,

Customer Question

2010 bmw z4: vin WBALM5C50AE377239for an unknown reason, auto-up on both driver and passenger windows has stopped working. both windows work fine other than auto-up. the battery was not disconnected before the failure was first noticed. it is strange that both stopped working at the same time. tried several window reset/relearn procedures found online, but none have worked. looked at fuses but could not understand BMW symbols and how they would relate to auto-up.
Category: BMW
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. Let me know when your ready !

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can do a lot with cars.

1. To make sure the window is de-initialized, run the window all the way down and hold the switch in the down position for at least 15 seconds, but not more than 20 seconds. You'll know the window is de-initialized if it will only move in small movements when trying to operate.

2. To initialize the window, make sure the door latch is closed and then fully lower the window.

3. Raise the window about 2" then lower the window fully and hold the switch in the down position for 6 seconds. Repeat this step 3 times.

4. Raise the window fully and then lower it about 2". Raise the window fully and hold the switch in the raise position for 6 seconds. Repeat this step 3 times.

5. Wait 10 seconds and the initialization should be complete.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I will try this .

Sounds good ill be around

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Window de-init not working. Windows acts normally after procedure. Tried relearning procedure anyway, did not work eithet.

Ok so next step is to take battery cables off and touch them together to drain the remaining voltage from the system, leave the cabes like this for 30 mins and re connect, and then do relearn procedure again.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Battery reset worked but relearning failed. I will try that sequence again but don't believe it is correct for this vehicle.

ok let me know how it goes, we can do more checks and tests

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did not work. What happens is windows will no longer go down (stuck fully closed) until car is turned off for about 5 minutes.

I am taking off a few days, ill have to open this back up to the others for help