BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

Looking for help with my bmw x3 2001 showing code p0016

looking for help with my bmw x3 2001 showing code p0016
7/29/2017
Kevin
Kevin, BMW Mechanic

Hi im kevin any other sympthoms ? Or codes present ?

first was the crankshaft sensor so i changed it then both camshaft sensors code p0016 came on again run out of ideas

Ok the code points to a correlation issue so its basically saying that the cams and the crank arent always in time with each other compared to what its expecting to see .how many mikes have you covered ?

I dont offer phone service im happy to continue online

ok they took my payment for for the live call but i am ok for online

How many miles have you covered ? Any rattle from cold start ?

it started with an oil leak i replaced the gasket then it started running rough it has almost 200000 kms

To be honest the code and milage would make me want to check engine timing . Its highly possible timing chain has jumped or is stretched

no rattle on cold start

Did you read reply

when i took of the crankshaft soilenoid could i have done it wrong

Not really all the solonoid does is control oil flow into vvt pulley

It was running good before i changed the valve cover gasket

Ok i would go back over what youve done before going any further .mabye remove cam cover and check internals and check the chain for slack

Kevin
Kevin, BMW Mechanic
i dont own a timing light is there a easy way to check it?
SuperDave
SuperDave, auto technician
Phone call session started

Dont use timing lights any more unfortunatly .you would need to purchase engine locking tools .these tools lock into engine to ensure correct timing

anything else i can do to find the problem ?

Without the correct tools its going to be very hard to confirm that mechanically everything is in time .the fact you have rough running and a correlation issue woukd all point to a timing fault

thank you looks like i am facing thousands in mechanic fee,s

Its a couple or hours labour for someone with the correct tools to confirm this

ok thank you

No problem

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, BMW Mechanic