Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Had CVV replaced in my 2003 525i at 198K and started burning

Customer Question

Had CVV replaced in my 2003 525i at 198K and started burning ~ 1qt oil every 1200mi. At 275K I replaced the CVV again thinking it was bad as in 1993 when I first replaced there were some bad parts on the market (also replaced valve seals and head gasket). I am now at 303K and have been burning 1 qt. per ave. of 450mi. Sometimes I go only 250 before the low oil alarm goes off. The alarm is always correct and I add a qt. Car is well maintained and still get 29-31 MPG but pick up power is getting weaker and I get big puff of whiteish/blueish smoke from tailpipe occasionally when I speed up from a slowdown or stop. Any ideas?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.
Is there any suction under the oil cap?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
steady flow
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

steady flow or steady suction?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Steady suction
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

suction indicates a problem with the ccv system, so this may need to be replaced again

however, if you are getting smoke mostly after stopping or idling, this is typically caused by leaking valve seals, which would require they be replaced. I would suspect this is the likely issue you are facing.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle...