Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

My car is overheating

Customer Question

my car is overheating
Category: BMW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

1- What year & model Bmw you have ?

2-We need to check coolant level, have you been adding to iyt or losing coolant prior to this

3- leaks under the car that are visible if any

4- are fans running

5- if you grab the radiator top hose while running can you squeezed by hand or hard as rock ?

6- has radiator , water pump, thermostat been replace or inspected prior to this ?

If you do not mind me asking ,are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
its a nissan not a bmw?

ok nissan what year and model ?

the info on screen only show bmw,regardless , let me know if you want to continue

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
its a 2014 nissan maxima

ok have and / or can you inspected the below component on your 2014 Nissan Maxima

4- are fans running

7- if you turn the heat on , do you still have heat in the cabin or heat is weak

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
coolant level its fine i can squezzed the the top hose i replace yhe thermostat last week
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no leaks

okay ,when over heating at idle ,if you rev up ,does temp gauge go down ?

the heat question ,good heat at idle and does heat get warmer when you rev it up ?

how high the temp gauge goes ?

and did you drive a long distance on it hot ?

is there any white smoke coming from exhaust ?

are you adding coolant to it prior to this like no leaks but u see the coolant goes down ever few days or weeks?

what is the mileage on it now ?

sorry about all the question ,but this way i can be accurate for you and not guessing ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no it does not go down and it usuallly goes one bar above the midway
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no white smoke and not i usually stop when it goes one bar above the midway
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ithas 40000 miles
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
coolant does not go down after few days

based on what u saying is happening ,I would suspect , radiator flow clogged and need replacement or water pump weak.

the radiator can be tested using special equipment and the water pump will need further testing by tearing down .'

at the 40000 miles the radiator more likley but testing is needed

do not sound u have head gasket issue and that would be expensive ,since the temp not going pass 1/2 a lot

So have RADIATOR AND WATER PUMP CHECKED

YOU ARE WELCOME

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Apreciatted

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

Please kindly rate Me ,A 5 Star Rating is Much Appreciated.

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,

You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert

that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please Keep in Mind that when You Rate Me , it Does Not End Our Conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

I 'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till LATE PM Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat