BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

Iv have a BMW X5 E53 I washed the engine bay and the

Customer Question
underside of the car with...
Iv have a BMW X5 E53 I washed the engine bay and the underside of the car with degreaser and since then the abs won't turn of and the car or running really bad, even the self levelling system has stopped working it's a 4.4 litre, I have pulled the 50 amp fuse for inside the glove box and it has stopped running but this is a temporary fix and ideas would be much appreciated, thank you in advance
JA: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.
Customer: Iv checked the fuse box in the cargo are, there all fine and check all the relays in the engine bay compartment no luck, Iv also had the abs module repaired.
JA: What year is your X5?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: A mate of mine has a scanner, he clears the code and it didn't come back, yes I'm fixing it my self, I'm an electrician by trade doing domestic and commercial projects,, I pretty handing and lnownmy way around cars
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Please help,
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: BMW
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/26/2017
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 3 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What happens that I have seen several times in the past for this fault here is when the engine is washed water usually enters one or more electrical connectors or electronics and causes this fault.Most likely you have a connection or electrical component on the engine that has water in it causing a signal short causing these faults here.

What I have had to do in the past is to disconnect all connections one at a time and check for water as well as inspect all electronics under hood for any water damage.If any water is found then the component or connections need to be dried and if any corrosion is found then the terminals replaced in the connections to resolve this fault.

This is a very common issue,the only problem is searching out where the water is and then cleaning and drying it out.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Hey Peter . I cleaned the engine bay about 2 weeks ago now, so I think all the water would have dried up by now. Do you if any module or component that I should look out for in particular

O.k.,since it did not clear up most likely an electrical component was damaged and is why it is still acting up.Most likely the water had shorted out one or more components.I would lean on more of the brake control unit ( DSC control unit) maybe getting water in it and becoming damaged.It is attached to the anti lock brake hydraulic unit that the brake lines connect to as shown below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yn63ox62zw2z060/ds-07-26.gif?dl=0

Unfortunately it needs programmed by a dealer when it is replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician