BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I have a BMW X5 E53 3.0d. Recently the car started showing

Customer Question
Hello. I have a BMW X5...
Hello.
I have a BMW X5 E53 3.0d.
Recently the car started showing annoying trepidation at the front wheels when I brake. It feels strongly at the steering wheel.
I had the wheels adjusted and aligned.
But the problem persists. It only happens occasionally and only when I brake at about 100 km/h.
I was advised somewhere to "bed" the discs, braking hard from 100 km/h to 20 a few times. In fact this seems to solve the problem, but it is quites annoying to do this every second day that I drive the car.
Could this be because of poor quality of the brake pads? I can't be sure but it seems it became worse after a pad change.
What is your advice?Thanks
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/24/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 3 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Have you changed the brake rotors?
I changed the rotors / discs. I thought they could be bad. But the problem persisted.
did you use BMW parts?
is the problem basically identical to how it was prior to the brake change?
No I used other non BMW discs that I ordered from Germany. I felt it solved the problem for a few weeks, then it reappeared again.
These are the discs I used: https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/abs-7710369.html.
Anyway, the problem remained as before when the discs were original.

are you positive the issue went away for a while, or not?

after replacing the discs the problem went away for some time - one or two weeks - then it reappeared. By then I didn't t know about bedding the disc. After I was advised I started solving the problem by braking hard for a few times and the problem goes away. But it is quite annoying.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

your problem is the pads and discs.
if you purchase BMW original pads and discs and install them, the issue will go away. I have seen this time and time again with aftermarket parts.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle...

Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert