BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I have a 2013 BMW X3 with 80k miles. Recently Drive Train

I have a 2013 BMW...
I have a 2013 BMW X3 with 80k miles. Recently Drive Train Malfunction comes on when going up steep hill. Does not effect engine response and clears when car restarted. Have had to dealer several times- computer reprogrammed, pinched hose to turbo replaced and pressure converter switch replaced. Still the indicator comes in.
JA: Besides this, what condition is the car in?
Customer: The question is- am I hurting the car by continuing to drive? What could be the problem? What is Bulletin 12 36 15?
JA: Are you fixing your X3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Dealer does all repairs.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats all
7/24/2017
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The service bulletin is due to poor throttle response in reprogramming the computer.This does not sound to have resolved this issue here.

If you know the fault code number setting with this issue from the dealer when they checked the fault codes let me know here as this will help.

This will not hurt to operate the vehicle like this but there is an issue here that does need addressed and repaired.It sounds like the dealer may be at a loss on this fault.If they have not contacted their tech support I would ask them if they can contact their tech support to see if they can get any help and ideas of what to check and repair for this fault here.

Since this occurs up a steep hill this may be fuel related.An issue that may not be causing any driving issues but may be enough for the engine warning light to come on indicating an issue is present needing looked into and repaired.I have seen restricted fuel filters as well as a weak fuel pump cause the light to come on but no running issues.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Only fault memory codes listed were 102001 and 120308

Did these codes

102001 from what I see is air mass flow sensor input to high.

120308 charge air pressure to high

If your mass air flow sensor is dirty or reading incorrectly needing cleaned or replaced this will cause the issue you see here.I would focus on having this checked and cleaned if possible or replaced then clear out all codes and make sure engine air filter is clean.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician