BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

My 08 bmw x3 is having some issues with the vvt. The scanner

Customer Question
says it the voltage input...
My 08 bmw x3 is having some issues with the vvt. The scanner says it the voltage input is too low. Code is p1056
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: BMW
7/16/2017
BMW Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, ASE Master Certified Tech replied 4 months ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, ASE Master Certified Tech
Hi welcome to just answers my name is Ricardo. Fault codes for variable valve timing will require diagnosis with BMW compatible scan tools.
This vehicle has both variable valve timing and variable valve lift. Instead of having a traditional valve body, this vehicle uses a system to control the valve lift and therefore intake air volume.
The fault codes specifically relate to supply voltage input too low for the valvetronic system. The valvetronic system is controlled by the engine control module. There is a specific fuse that supplies the engine control module with power for the valvetronic system. That fuse is a 40 amp fuse that is located in the electronics box next to the engine control module. Verify that fuse is intact and will allow current flow before worrying about anything else.The power from the fuse should go to the valvetronic relay which is behind the 40 amp fuse. With key on, the relay should activate and send battery voltage on the Orange wire from the relay to pins 1 and 2 of connector X60004 of the engine control module.5. It is very important that the variable valve lift system is initialized and working properly for this engine to run. This can only be done with a BMW compatible scan tool or factory scan tool.
Check the 40 amp fuse first .
The fuse where the glove department is right?
Let me know if ok check for power across the fuse
Gimme one sec. i couldnt find a fuse tester so im improvising
Take your time is ok if you have to do this tomorrow in the morning no rush.
I just switched out the fuse for another but it seems to be the same
But yeah if u want we can do this tomorrow
Is the 40 amp fuse supposed to be a little burnt is what it seemes like on the tips
Its not blown tho
Ok you will need either a test light or multimeter to check for power across the fuse if you use a test light expect to see a bright lite on the test light/ if you use a multimeter expect to read battery power.
Yeah ill have to buy one in the morning.
At least you were more helpful already than the last guy. Lol

i'll get back to you tonight at 7 pm sorry for the inconvenience,unexpectedly had to go work today volunteer firefighter sorry.

Thats no problem man. Take your time. Any chance are u helping for the whitter fire in sb?

Good Morning will you like to continue now or tonight?

Tonight would be best. Thanks

ok talk to you tonight.

Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, ASE Master Certified Tech