Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

The ac doesn't get cold when it's hot outside and I'm not

Customer Question

The ac doesn't get cold when it's hot outside and I'm not driving at highway speeds. When it's cool and/or in the morning the ac works very well. I'm thnking i's a aux fan issue - thoughts?
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: I added a bit top top off, but it seems fine - pressure from the Freon can registers slightly above charged.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2001 BMW e53 v8
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am, I've worked on cars for over 30 years, but it's my avocation - not my vocation. I have the Bentley service manual and I have done some research online. I think I need to verify that the fan comes on when the ac is activated in the afternoon, but I want to determine a path if that is or isn't the issue.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I thnk that's about it.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 9 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Great, thanks.

Hey how are you

1- Few things we need to check , Freon level , do you have ac gauges to check low side and high side pressure , we need to see around 30 psi on low and 150 to 175 max on high while running ?

2- yes the ac condenser fan has to be running at all times when the ac is on , ?

3- if we have restriction in the system ,a low Freon level , fan not running it will cause that , the fact when driving on high way and not hot ,tells us that fan operation needs checked for sure ,since driving down the high way the air flow is cool condenser down so fan not necessary but it is at idle if not running the high pressure will rise passed 200 psi and high pressure switch will cut ac compressor for seeing high pressure

4- if the freeon level low ,the low pressure switch will cut off the system if it is seeing low pressure at idle as example since not enough Freon circulating

5- so lets start here , Freon levels and then fan operation and we can move forward

6- now the freeon has to be exact , so if we have to much it want cool correctly and to little will not cool correctly ,now we also have ambient temp sensor that read outside temp if that is erratic that will interfere with ac cooling ,but lets go one step at time

YOU ARE WELCOME

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Apreciatted

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

Please kindly rate Me ,A 5 Star Rating is Much Appreciated.

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,

You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert

that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please Keep in Mind that when You Rate Me , it Does Not End Our Conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

I 'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till LATE PM Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 days ago.

Hey how are you

Just checking on you to see if you got the issue resolved or you like additional assistance on it ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat