Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Gm how are u i what is a fail safe code or problem, I dont

Customer Question

Gm how are u i what is a fail safe code or problem
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: I dont know the code but i have a 745Li bwm and that message appears on the console
JA: What year is your 745li?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your 745li yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not fixing myself i tried nothing yet dont know what to do happens when driving
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No but this a a ignoring issue
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have no sound in my car for instance when seat belt is off driving no ding ding even when backing or being to close to a wall no sound .
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

The fail safe condition happens when the transmission control module detects a fault that may be damaging to the transmission and therefore limits the transmission to lower gears. This can be caused by faulty shift solenoids, pressure switches, transmission fluid temperature sensor, electronic valve body, or internal transmission failure.

This needs to be diagnosed with a bmw scan tool in order to find the underlying cause

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is this a expensive job to fix
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Depends upon what the fault is. But expect from $400 up to $2000