peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

Changed the thermostat and won't crank. it turns over but it

Customer Question

changed the thermostat and won't crank. it turns over but it won't start. checked the codes and there are 10 different codes coming up.
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: fuel rail shows gas and the spark plugs are fine.
JA: What is the model of your '10 BMW?
Customer: 1999 bmw 528i
JA: Are you fixing your 528i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked all fuses, checked hoses, checked plugs and wires.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it was running before the thermostat was changed.
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Could this be a computer issue now? 0301 and 0303 (which I know means cylinder 1 and 3 no spark) and 1477 came up. There are 10 different codes coming up.
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Inspect in the area that was worked on and see if any connections got any coolant into them needing cleaned and dried as this is usually the cause after a repair like this.Also check and see if any connections were bumped loose at all.If this is or was all checked already let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We took the clutch fan off and you know we had to hit the water pump shaft really hard about 5 times for it to break loose can there be a knock sensor that is off now? The other thing is we've already checked all the hoses and the connections we've done everything possible to this car. We've checked the fuses check the fuel rail everything's good and it was running before we put that thermostat on. What in the world is going on with this car? I will inspect this car online and see what I can come up with it.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know I said this before but I'm going to make sure that you understand that we did put better fuel in there because it had been sitting up for a while but it did crank and drove it around to where we were working on it and now all of a sudden it won't start it'll turn over but it will not crank and you can hear everything turning in all that and it's all good. So I just do not understand why there is 10 different codes that are coming up which I have looked at all of them online and the things that it is talking about just doesn't make sense. So like I said I will check online and see what's

Have you tried to clear out the codes to see if any of the codes come back again?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How do you clear out codes?

The codes need cleared out with a scan tool that plugs into your vehicles data port.This can usually be the same tool that was used to read the codes.I would start with clearing the codes then see if it starts.If it does not then let me know what codes come up again.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. Thank you. Let me see what happens

Your welcome

Let me know when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, it said No power train DTCs or freeze frame data in the computer

This is a difficult question for me to answer myself from here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete