peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

Service engine soon light stay on ..pan oil gasket was

Customer Question

service engine soon light stay on ..pan oil gasket was changed due to leak..mechanic gets to turn it off but after a short drive it comes on again..Is there a code to shut it down...
JA: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?
Customer: no
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 330ci 2006
JA: Are you fixing your 330ci yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no I had mechanic replace oil pan gasket.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: can I recode this myself
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The service engine soon light comes on to let you know that a fault has been detected by the engine/transmission computer.This can be a large number of different sensors or components on the engine or transmission that causes this issue here.What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set using a fully compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicles data port.Once this is done any codes set then need diagnosed to help locate and repair this issue here.To then turn off this light or message a scan tool is used to "clear codes" which then turns off the light or message you see.

If the fault is not repaired the codes can still be cleared out to turn off this light but it may come back on again until the fault has been corrected.

To turn this off yourself you would need to purchase a scan tool that can read the engine computer to perform the clear codes function or see if a shop will just clear the codes for you.In some cases you can rent a scan tool from a local parts store to do this yourself.Unfortunately these are the only ways to correct this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete