BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I have a 1332 code on a 2000 X5 4.4. I have checked the DME

Customer Question
I have a 1332 code...
I have a 1332 code on a 2000 X5 4.4 . I have checked the DME and the wiring harness, a shop had installed new knock sensors. I even tried fooling the system by switching knock sensor 4 with knock sensor 2 wiring position,, same fault comes up.. I need to know much more about Knock sensor testing,operation and what else could throw this fault ( bad engine ground,o2 sensor , bad plug etc ???) don't
JA: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?
Customer: good question,, the car was oily underneath and very aggressively steam cleaned before that fault occurred. I can look at that. do you have experience with O2 sensors causing that fault ?
JA: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tested voltage with the key on, there seemed to be a difference in supply voltage from sensor 3 and sensor 4. I sent the DME in and had it checked,supposedly fixed. Still same fault code. A shop has changed all the knock sensors prior to my involvement. They were chasing same 1332 code, they failed and gave up. I have also checked the integrity of the signal wire and shield wires. wire ohms good with no shorts.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I fooled the circuit today by re-pinning knock sensor 4 to knock sensor 2,, the same fault shows up. Now I am questioning if the fault description is misleading or incomplete. There seems to be this fault listed for knock sensor 4 and knock sensor 2 but no mention of knock sensors 1 or 3. Consequently , I may be on to separating the computer from the knock sensor 4 by re-pinning ,,, but I am suspicious BMW is giving the fault for left or right bank pairs of sensors. I may re-pin the other two knock sensors therefor separating the left and right bank and seeing which fault is logged.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: BMW
5/15/2017
BMW Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 6 months ago
eric remington

HELLO...MY NAME IS***** SEE IF I CAN FIND AN ANSWER FOR YOU...

BMW Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 6 months ago

hI ERIC HERE....DIFFERENCE IN SUPPLY VOLTAGE? FROM SENSORS TO ECM ?

I have read about that, there is some confusion on my part now. I did back probe at the connection between the sensor harness and the connector that then goes to the control module. I did see a difference in voltage between knock sensor 3 and knock sensor 4. They are on the same bank of my 4.4 v8 engine sensing cylinders 5,6,7,8. I recall the voltage was 0 volts on one sensor and 2.5 volts on the other. I then disconnected the knock sensor from the harness and re-tested the voltage. I found the same results and assumed the control module to be bad serving sensor #4. ( this may have been a bad assumption on my part) I sent the control module to the module repair experts in Florida and they claimed they found a problem with the module and claimed they repaired it. When I got it back, I still have the same fault code.
I have now re tested my voltage by back probing the circuit at the connector. I tested all four sensors, even tested the shielded wire for continuity or shorts to a voltage source. Only thing I saw was low voltage on one sensor ( about 1.5 volts) key on, engine running, fault not cleared. I can re-test this and verify my results for you. I also tried to see if I could test the resistance to ground(engine block) ,, I cant seem to get a reading on any ohm scale. I tested my block to chassis and found 4 ohms, I tested that because I know the engine had oil leaks and was steam cleaned and I was not sure if I was dealing with a dirty or corroded ground at the block ( could still be a problem, oil becomes conductive when hot I understand). I did purchase a new Bosch knock sensor, it is on my kitchen table. I purchased it to see how it behaves with ohm meter and I can also plug it in at the car and bolt it onto the damn fender if I have to. I am also planning on re pinning knock sensor 1,2 to the 3,4 pin assignment at the control module. I think(assume) that BMW only seems to have faults for bank1 or bank2, I think this because I see no fault code in their list of faults for knock sensor 1 or 3,,,, only faults for 2 and 4. But, if 1 is bad, it is tied to 2 and if 3 is bad, it is tied to 4 because they come in a wired pair. (thats how I arrived at my assumption to re pin the pair to the opposite bank and see what happens.
I have asked you ,, because I want to
1)check my logic trying to separate sensor and wiring problem from control unit problem
2)learn what you know about testing knock sensors
3)find out if any other problems with the engine can throw the knock sensor code 1332 p11
I will tell you what I find out..please ask questions or instruct me what tests I should perform. I have an old oscilloscope and BMW DIS that might be useful. I am not well versed with either but I can be dangerous.
BMW Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 6 months ago

so you took the wiring off of the #4 knock sensor and replaced it with another and put the wiring lead form another sensor o n no #4? is the part number the same for the different knock sensors? is the available voltage the same on sensors one and 2?

BMW Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 6 months ago

there may be a wiring issue ck resistance in the wire form the sensor wire that has 0 volts back to the module is that where it goes? I have not consulted a schematic yet...have you? I can if you have not....there could be a open circuit in wiring

BMW Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 6 months ago

let me know if I need to consult schematic or not? if not let me know resistance readings

BMW Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 6 months ago

one of the places to to test this is at the pcm where the output from the sensor comes from ....do you have a full function scanner?

BMW Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 6 months ago

the knock sensor should create an ac voltage to pcm .... tap engine and see if signal is coming from knock sensor to pcm from various knock sensors

I just found Eric's questions. I would like to keep connected to Eric, he has responded and has asked me a number of pertinent questions. I will carefully round up those answers and continue .. Thank you Eric, I should be back in a day. We could do phone , however, lets make sure I cover your basic questions with accurate information. Thanks for your interest.
BMW Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 6 months ago

ok I apologize I accidentally deleted this conversation so yes when you are ready...I will be here

Roger, BMW Master Tech