BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I have a 2001 x5 4.4 that crank but won't start. I change

Customer Question
the alternator and the starter...
I have a 2001 x5 4.4 that crank but won't start. I change the alternator and the starter and the battery and same issue. However, when trying to start the engine, from my code reader I could see that my fuel pump is active and working, alternator has power and there is enough fuel in the tank. Any suggestion on this? I could send you the sound that is coming from the starter if needed.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: BMW
5/14/2017
BMW Mechanic: Doctor D, BMW Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Doctor D
Doctor D, BMW Mechanic

So the engine will not crank correct? Meaning turn over, or spin?

Correct, it will not turn over.
Take a listen to my attachment (delete 579)
I want to believe that the starter is getting power but where the starter is sending the power is not receiving it.
But I could be wrong.
I had a file that I was attaching but it's a little to big. I had wanted you to hear the noise /sound from the starter.
8203;Correct, it will not turn over.
Take a listen to my attachment (Delete 579).
But I could be wrong.

There are many things that will disable starter on these. One is engine oil level (or a bad sensor), another is security immobilizer. Also these older 4.4L are not uncommon to completely fall apart internally.

Are you good with following wire diagrams to make sure the starter is getting trigger?

I am very handy.
Also, when the key is in position 2, should there be power at the starter relay connector?

Give me some info leading up to this failure as well. Any previous repairs, or it just all of a sudden didn't crank on day. Was a new battery replaced recently?

It was sitting for a few weeks while I was out of town, came back and I start the engine and it run for a few mins and stop. Then suddenly it will not start at all, it just crank and crank till the battery drain. I change the alternator, the battery and the starter. When, I try starting it, I can see that the engine is getting fuel from my code reader, so I know the fuel pump is working.

So it did crank before, but now does not? And I mean Crank as in turn over, spin?

it turn over and spin once before for about 30 seconds and stop.
Now it crank with a rough idle but would not start.

Ok, I misunderstood you. So why if it has always cranked that you replaced the Starter or Alternator? Neither part has anything to do with no start conditions? Not trying to be hard on you but I'm lost here.

Another easy thought is to try a second(spare) key, the key do go bad occasionally.

You may be right but after it wouldn't start i thought it was the alternator that was draining the battery. I also thought that the battery need replacing since it drain and not holding charge.

Well in FL at least we see batteries lasting 3 years max on average, so yes battery is always a safe replacement.

I'm certain you have an EWS issue, try a 2nd key 1st. .. After that you really need specialize scanners to go further. The ews needs to be realigned in most cases. Lots of fun high tech stuff that needs expensive equipt to access info

Make sure your oil level is good, or change your oil to be sure.

attached

ok, I will change the oil and see what happen.
Also, I do have INPA and NCS Expert on my computer. I used it once to recode my E46 DSC.
Can this program realigned my EWS?
On my scanner it is telling me that my EWS is ok.
I only have one key at this point

If it was me; I would re-code the EWS/key just as if you were replacing the EWS module. (which may need replaced) . But I always re-code everything as sometimes voltage spikes with battery/starter stuff can mess them up.

If we still aren't anywhere after that, then chances are you have a bad EWS, BUT I would make significant wire testing(pin outs) at that point to diagnose it as that.

I work on the truck today and here what's happening.
With some starting fluid spray into the intake, the engine is turning over but only for about 30 seconds. It is safe to say that my fuel filter and/or fuel pump is not working properly?
i work on the truck today and here whats happening.
Do you have any suggestion on my last text?
Doctor D
Doctor D
Doctor D, BMW Mechanic