BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I have BMW 1988 E34 and is in very good shape, only

Customer Question
Hello, JA: Hi. What is your...
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I have BMW 1988 E34 and is in very good shape, only sometimes is difficult to start it even with new batter, if I drive 10 min and stop then is very difficult to start. Need to wait like few min and then after few attempts start with no reasonable explanation
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes battery fully charged and lights off
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We check for bad connections, some electrical failure should be reason fro it, because is not easy to connect reason for it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Sometimes the car just stop like that I take key out and is dead and then after few minutes I can start normal and evriting work normal
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: BMW
5/12/2017
BMW Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, ASE Master Certified Tech replied 6 months ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, ASE Master Certified Tech
Hi welcome to just answers my name is***** seems like you may have a bad starter, the field and winding on the startergets hot do to shorted and demands excessive amperage from the battery. Does it crank very slow when this happens?
No, crank very good and strong, even sometimes I do need 3-4 times is still strong crank and suddenly start with no explanation why was not the first time as sometimes does. The main problem is that with no reason during driving suddenly goes dead, engine stops like that I pulled out the start key. Then I drive with engine off due to previously speed and then after few minutes I can start again the engine and works like all is normal?
Hi sorry for the delay will you like to continue ?
I still waiting for answer, what will be possible cause electrical bad connections somewhere or suddenly fuel is cut off, the pump itself in the tank was changed recently?
Have you check for any codes stored on the computers memory?
The way you discribe this problem seems like your crank sensor is shorting crank signal to the pcm.
A good scan for codes will help.
we did check while connected on computer but because is old model is nothing detecting, like all is normal and especially because ones start is working normal, but this is not happening only that sometimes don't want to start is also during normal running just unexpectedly stop running the engine and after waiting few minutes (5 min) crank normally and motor is running smoothly..
I have auto alarm installed and I do not use it remotely because is getting week. I mean need to be close to the front part of car to activate it. The battery in the remote key is disconnected and I do use it only mechanically for central opening and closing. Can be problem with Car Alarm system that suddenly get activated without reason and block the car? Maybe due to aging motor control board need to be replaced (capacitors get week or any malfunction on board)?
No the alarm will not turn the engine of the way you describe, this problem sounds like you have a bad crank sensor.
You need to remove the crank sensor and test it with a multimeter and replace it if bad
OK I will change it. I'm working out of my home (on the ship) and now I can not test this. I just would like to please you to list all involving parts that you think that is possible cause, reason for this malfunction and I will change all, because I did spent already a lot of money on this car and will keep it as oldtimer car.
Ok let me get back to you tonight from
Home I will have more information thank you
I will really appreciate if you can send me electrical drawings or schematic of the el. components that are involved in this issue. Thank you very much in advance for all answers.
Roger, BMW Master Tech