peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

I got a 2013 BMW 328i xDrive with about 38,000 miles about a

Customer Question

I got a 2013 BMW 328i xDrive with about 38,000 miles about a month ago. I have noticed a high pitched whine sound produced at low speeds while hitting the accelerator, and to some extent once you let go and the engine winds down. It is more noticeable (I believe) when cold and at low speeds. It is not related to the radio or HVAC I don't believe. It is driving me crazy, and the BMW technicians already told me once that it is normal on this car and they've gotten complaints about it. I cannot believe this... and unless I'm crazy, it's getting more noticeable. ANY idea what this could be? Should I take it back and insist they figure it out?Here are two videos of the sound. It's harder to hear on video than it is in-person.https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8y6hbk08w36kay/MOV2.MOV?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/sfus7k7x3yt7yus/MOV1.MOV?dl=0
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Some models do have a noisey oil pump or engine to where it can whine some.One thing you can ask is ask the dealer if you can operate a vehicle just like yours to compare it to.If it makes the same noise then most likely it is normal unfortunately.But if the other vehicles do not make this noise here I would have them checked the drive belt and pulleys for any belt damage or pulley bearings that may be starting to fail as this can cause this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete