david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

I have a 2009 x5 and everytime i go over a bump there is a

Customer Question

hi ,i have a 2009 x5 and everytime i go over a bump there is a knocking noise coming from my front wheel area , i just move from florida to new york and all these potholes and uneven roads makes my x5 very unsafe
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: i was told its my rack and pinion but i really dont think so i had it for 5 yrs ,any suggestions
JA: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: when i drove it from florida to new york 2 months ago i had to replace the struts and mounts but now i notice this other problem...
JA: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?
Customer: no fluid whatsoever
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes , can he recommend a good service place out here in new york because i really dont trust that local mechanic theory thanks
Category: BMW
Expert:  david craig replied 4 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. Im putting my money on the sway bar end links.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thanks , would that cause my wheel to shake easily ...rather than sturdy

it wouldnt really cause that, but it would cause banging/ knocking. if the wheel is a bit shaky i would have the tie rod ends checked also

please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you were satisfied with my assistance. just remember, by accepting the answer and leaving a rating doesnt mean we are done. im here to help you until the vehicle is fixed.

just checking in to see how its going