Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

Currently my BMW has been leaking oil. I took it to a

Customer Question

Hello, currently my BMW has been leaking oil. I took it to a mechanic and he told me the average to fix the problem is around $1,000.
JA: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?
Customer: I have not
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 2004 325i station wagon
JA: Are you fixing your Station yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm just looking around it, hopefully to find the problem and get the parts myself and just pay them for their service.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The leak looks like its coming from the oil feed line, would that effect me driving the car? The mechanic also mentioned a leak coming from the engine .
Category: BMW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

Yes if the oil gets low enough the oil pressure switch will detcted and stop the car from starting eventually if it get low enough,you can keep adding to it

if the leak is from oil feed line ,that is important since you do not want to loose pressuer while drivinf down the higway and engine gets staryved for oil and will have major damage internaly

now why the $1000 and what is he replacing

is the leak for sure from oil feed line ,not rear main seal, head assemebly are leaking ?

how many miles on the car ? and how much is the loss of oil, 1 quart ,2 quarts etc.. and how long does it take to leak it

can you provide a picture of the area if possible you can up loaded here , usually we pressure wash engine if oil is all over the engine and can not tell for sure

yes you can fix it yourself if we know for sure what is leaking and you have the tolls if needed to fix it ,i do not see why not .

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat