Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Whitsling sound from 528i BMW, now it cannot start.. battery

Customer Question

whitsling sound from 528i BMW, now it cannot start..
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: battery is all good
JA: What year is your 528i?
Customer: 2010, 111k miles
JA: Are you fixing your 528i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: same thing happened a week ago, mechanic said starter was replaced.r
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: someone suggested cvv problem.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What does it do when you try to start?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
vehicle cannot start
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
I know, I asked what it does when you try to start? Does is click? Lights flash ? Nothing at all?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
lights, but nothing else, same thing happened a week ago and I had to have it towed..
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
How did you get it started last time?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
got it towed to the mechanic, mechanic replaced starter
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
are you still there, do you have solutions?
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
did you want to know possible cause?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
are u still there?
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

The first thing to do would be to check all fuses. Sometimes a very random blown fuse can cause this. Also unhook the battery for one hour to reset all systems. Also, try locking/unlocking the driver’s door a few times using the mechanical key.

Assuming the fuses are good and the battery reset does not help, nor a jump or the key in door unlocking, then there are a few other things that can cause this. While not all can be trouble-shooted at home, I hope this information will be helpful to you and yield a possible solution.

1) bad key - try another one

2) bad brake light switch - make sure your brake lights work. If not, the switch is above the brake pedal.

3) shifter not fully in park (auto transmission only) - try moving it around a bit, try starting in both park and neutral

4) bad immobilizer (aka EWS or CAS) - nothing can be done, dealer equipment is required to fix. When this goes bad or out of alignment, the car does not get the proper signal that the correct key is present, and therefore, the car will not start and the starter will not be allowed to engage.

5) bad transmission position switch (auto transmission only, located on side of transmission, accessed from under car) - this is what signals the car that it is in neutral/park and is safe to start. Try rocking the car back and forth in park a couple times.

6) bad clutch switch (manual transmission only, located above clutch pedal) - this is what signals the car that the clutch is depressed and is safe to start.

7) dead starter/solenoid/relay - To verify, you would need to access the starter and verify if the start signal is making it or not.

8) bad ignition switch/cylinder – also unlikely as you would generally not get all other functions / power to come on inside the car in that case

9) seized or otherwise locked engine

Of course, it could also always be something totally random like a wiring breakage or problem with the engine control computer or other control module, but this is unlikely and hard to predict.

The best path forward, if one of the simpler items above does not pan out, is to have the car scanned with a BMW scan tool that can check all systems live and determine where the start signal is dropping off / getting inhibited.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the did not address the whitsling sound from 528i BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
That is unrelated to the car not starting. A noise like that is likely a belt, air leak or bad ccv . Please do not forget to click on a positive rating
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
.