Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I have a 2007 BMW X3 with P0012. I have already replaced the

Customer Question

I have a 2007 BMW X3 with P0012. I have already replaced the two solenoid valves and the (2) cam position sensors along with the crank position sensor. But still have the code. What can else be the cause and do you have an idea of how much it would be to fix? Thank you
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

hello

as you've already replaced the solenoids and position sensors then I'd say there must be an issue with the cam pulley / VVT actuator itself

sadly swapping this is more involved as the engine front cover has to come off to replace the pulley and reset the cam timing, depending on the mileage on the car then you might want to also replace the timing chain while you're there

typically parts are about $250 - 400 but its about 5 hours labour to do the job so this will depend on the labour rate of the garage you choose as dealers are $150 - 180 per hour with an independent costing about 60% of this