sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2004 330 wont start pulled starter and battery, had them

Customer Question

2004 330 wont start pulled starter and battery, had them tested and they both tested good....looked at the switch under the steering wheel and it is not burnt....at a loss
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: the ground lug on the battery was a little...
JA: Are you fixing your 330 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: pulled starter and battery and had them tested...both passed
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: switch is not burnt
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What exactly does the car do when you try to start it?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it sounded like it got gradually worse as the week went on and then one morning it just did nothing. No clicks nothing. So I pulled the starter and had it tested along with the battery (Autozone) and they both passed
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
anyone there?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.
It can take time between replies. Perhaps the phone option would be easier for a small incremental charge?
What has been checked besides testing the starter? Have you checked voltage at the starter? Etc?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did not. just pulled the starter.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.
You need to check first if the start signal is making it to the starter when trying to start. If not you likely have a bad key or immobilizer issue, or possibly a transmission / clutch switch issue. If he start signal is present, then there must be a voltage drop between the battery and starter, or the engine is siezed (unlikely). Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I forgot to tell you I put a new in and it worked for a week and now it is no good (failed test at Autozone)
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.
Put a new what in? you said everything passed the test at autozone?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry, after the first starter didn't work, I replaced it. It worked fine for two days then started sounding bad. Then (yesterday) it would click only like the Bendix would not make it all the way to the flywheel. So I pulled it and had it and the original one tested with the battery. The original starter checked good but the replacement is bad (now). I have been having some bus issues lately, dash lights and steering wheel buttons inop. They are all working now but I still have seatbelt and ABS lights illuminated on the dash.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.

I am going to opt out of your question. Perhaps another expert will be able to assist.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am putting the old starter back in now but I don't know if I should change the battery

You can test the battery's voltage with a voltmeter if you have one.