BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

BMW 2006 325i. Car was running fine. One day ran out of

Customer Question
BMW 2006 325i....

BMW 2006 325i. Car was running fine. One day ran out of battery. AAA jumped the battery. I noticed Car started, but the idling was weird, it was revving up and down voluntarily. Pressing accelerator pedal did not help and it did not increase speed while idling.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

In addition i got 'Engine Oil Pressure too low , Possible engine damage' message on iDrive screen

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 325i yourself? What have you tried so far?

Only 60k

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have said everything I know. When I took it to the mechanic they connected to the diagnostics and coming up with MAF sensor needs to change, Throttle body assembly need to change and Accelerator Module needs to change etc., That does not seem right. If they change oil pressure sensor or switch , will this all go away?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What faults exactly are present?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Steve, did you read the above message I sent initally?
I am asking for the exact fault codes logged
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I took it to a mechanic. I do not have the codes. He mentioned he diagnosed and he is getting many codes. Based on that he wants to change MAF, throttle body assembly and accelerator module. If the car was running fine before how would all the systems go bad at the same time? The main message on the disply is ' Engine Oil Pressure too low', other indications I can give is when I start the car, in idle position, the engine appears to be revving up and down. I also hear a sound as through the fan is running at very high speed. If I press the gas pedal, the engine rpm does not go higher. Hope this should be enough informaiton for you to get an idea, right? I wont be able to give any other info as I do not have the car here with me,
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I took it to a mechanic. I do not have the codes. He mentioned he diagnosed and he is getting many codes. Based on that he wants to change MAF, throttle body assembly and accelerator module. If the car was running fine before how would all the systems go bad at the same time? The main message on the disply is ' Engine Oil Pressure too low', other indications I can give is when I start the car, in idle position, the engine appears to be revving up and down. I also hear a sound as through the fan is running at very high speed. If I press the gas pedal, the engine rpm does not go higher. Hope this should be enough informaiton for you to get an idea, right? I wont be able to give any other info as I do not have the car here with me
All items did not fail at once. However each of what he suggested as well as the engine computer could cause the symptoms you have. More thorough diagnostics are in order to narrow it down further, as well as reprogramming. Worst case you would replace one part at a time not all three at once. Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Steve, I gave you all the exact symptoms. I gave his diagnosis as well. I am looking for more from you that is the reason I am going through this paid service. Given BMW system is complaining about 'Engine oil pressure too low', do you think all the above systems may be related to a faulty/leaky pressure sensor.
When I read BimmerForums, one other person who had a similar issue and he said he solved it due to
SOLVED!!! It was my ABS. I used PA Soft 1.4 and I got the following errors:
ABS:
4A/FF - CAN MD_IND signal error
27/DB - Servo motor (ADS-part)
26/FF - Position controller (ADS-part)Is it because in his case a leaking ABS system?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ABS:
4A/FF - CAN MD_IND signal error
27/DB - Servo motor (ADS-part)
Replaing the system he suggested would run me into the $2000 repair tab.
I'm sorry? What did you want to know about this abs issue?
You have not provided fault codes and have generic symptoms, and a hands on mechanic hasn't given you a silver bullet answer so I am not sure what you are hoping to know - , what is it specifically that you would like to know?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Steve , forget about the ABS issue I mentioned above.Steve, I gave you all the exact symptoms. I gave his diagnosis as well. I am looking for more from you that is the reason I am going through this paid service. Given BMW system is complaining about 'Engine oil pressure too low', do you think all the above systems may be related to a faulty/leaky pressure sensor ?
Can the system error (in display) be linked to engine revving issue I mentioned above ?
I also have given you what the mechanic is pushing me to do (MAF change, throttle body assembly change and accelerator module change), which I feel is excessive amount of repair that would cost me $2000.
This is the reason I am asking your expert opinion. I am looking for more from you based on the symptoms from my car and what the other mechanic is asking me to do. Based on your experience what do you think the problem could be?
The most likely cause, in my experience, is the throttle body. Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you think it is throttle body, why is the system display showing 'Engine oil pressure too low, possible engine damage' message ?
BMW Mechanic: Kenny, BMW Technician replied 1 year ago
Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician

You have a very interesting situation. Clearly with a oil pressure warning that would be the first thing I would investigate I haven't seen anything with it related to ABS like you read in a forum on another vehicle. I would connect a manual pressure gauge to verify correct oil pressure and then inspect pressure sensor.

As for your running issue after having a dead battery is very interesting, I agree that not all three of those components have failed at once. To be honest without someone connecting jumper cables backwards on the vehicle I wouldn't suspect any of those as faulty. Seems like the shop you are at just wants to replace everything in the system because they don't know how to diagnosis the system or truly understand how it works. I recommend another shop, I am biased because I work at a dealer but I recommend going to a dealer they know your car and its system because that is what they work on all day. As for the real cause I suspect throttle body lost calibration and needs to relearn the end stops as well the valvetronic system.