BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I'm working on a 2002 BMW 325XI. I have a code P1348. Engine

Customer Question
I'm working on a 2002...
I'm working on a 2002 BMW 325XI. I have a code P1348. Engine will start right up but won't idle. # 4 coil boot and plugs have been changed. I saw that one possibility would be a cam sensor, but I don't have those codes.I That cylinder is low on compression appr. 60-70psi. ideas?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: BMW
3/5/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 9 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
what is the last 7 of the vin?
Sorry, I've been ill.PF67316
Thanks I will reply shortly.
Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you
.
the problem is the low compression, nothing else.
the compression will be either:
.
bent or otherwise bad valve
collapsed piston ring (can attempt to reseal by pouring a small amount of engine oil down into the cylinder - about a cap full from the oil bottle cap)
internal cylinder wear
.
if the ring does not reseal, the next step would be a leak down test to identify if the issue is the valve or cylinder
.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Would you please pass this on to another tech. I have never seen a 6 cylinder engine that would not run with just one cylinder mis-firing. Mis-fire to be sure, but not idle?Thanks
BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Does is stay on if you keep on accelerating?

No, when I try to accelerate it knocks off.
BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Did you have any engine light come on before this happened?

there have been several. One for knock sensor..replaced; one indicating coil; wire;or plug..all replaced. No other codes are present now.
BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

To me sounds like a vacuum problem. Its usually one of the hoses that go to the throttle body that have a rip in it or it is the crankcase vent valve.

New intake hose and ccv.
BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Did the problem come after replacement or before?

Before. When I first started working on it it had codes for ccv. After I replaced it, then is when I discovered the compression issue on #4.
BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Did you check the fuel pressure?

I have not. I will check that next.
BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Keep me posted.

I willThanks
BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

And please dont forget to rate in the upper left corner otherwise i dont get compensated. Thank you

Hi Gunvir:
I could not find a pressure tester, but I did attempt to keep it running with starting fluid but was unsuccessful.
BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Quick question, do you have a obd scanner?

the only code i see is P1348.
BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

P1348 could be for a bad crank sensor. You need to go in data stream and check rpm signal when you turn the motor.

I just got back on this car. I now have a more powerful scanner. I now get the following codes: EE; F1; and D1.
BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

What are the codes in in DME?

OK, the F1 code is DME misfire cyl. #4
EE is DME misfire cyl. # 1
D1 is cyl. misfire #6.I have installed new plugs, coils and boots 1;4 and 6.I am getting a popping back when trying to accelerate, but there are no codes for any sensors. It did start up and ran (roughly) still with cyls. not firing for about a minute and then knocked off again.
OK, the F1 code is DME misfire cyl. #4
EE is DME misfire cyl. # 1
D1 is cyl. misfire #6.I have installed new plugs, coils and boots 1;4 and 6.I am getting a popping back when trying to accelerate, but there are no codes for any sensors. It did start up and ran (roughly) still with cyls. not firing for about a minute and then knocked off again. I have also replaced the knock sensor.
BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago
I think your main problem is the cylinder #4 misfire, other ones are trying to compensate for that. That is the one with low compression?
BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago
Let's try to put a lil bit transmission fluid in #4 cylinder and turn the motor a couple of times. Let's see if it helps
I have put solvent in that cylinder to try and loosen up and carbon on the rings, but I haven't tried oil to try and increase compression. I'll try an ounce or so of trans fluid. How long should i wait before trying to start it.?
BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

10 minutes.

OK, the F1 code is DME misfire cyl. #4
EE is DME misfire cyl. # 1
D1 is cyl. misfire #6.I have installed new plugs, coils and boots 1;4 and 6.I am getting a popping back when trying to accelerate, but there are no codes for any sensors. It did start up and ran (roughly) still with cyls. not firing for about a minute and then knocked off again. I have also replaced the knock sensor. Monday evening I started it up and was able to keep it running T about 3K rpms and the engine started smoking around the exhaust manifolds and the fan came on. It stayed on after the engine was shut off. I think that the rear manifold/cat is stopped up or at least partially restricted. (The temp. guage never went past middle). I'm going to see if I can remove the plugs in it and see if that helps with running.
OK, the F1 code is DME misfire cyl. #4
EE is DME misfire cyl. # 1
D1 is cyl. misfire #6.I have installed new plugs, coils and boots 1;4 and 6.I am getting a popping back when trying to accelerate, but there are no codes for any sensors. It did start up and ran (roughly) still with cyls. not firing for about a minute and then knocked off again. I have also replaced the knock sensor. Monday evening I started it up and was able to keep it running T about 3K rpms and the engine started smoking around the exhaust manifolds and the fan came on. It stayed on after the engine was shut off. I think that the rear manifold/cat is stopped up or at least partially restricted. (The temp. guage never went past middle). I'm going to see if I can remove the plugs in it and see if that helps with running. In this case, the plugs are O2 sensors.
BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Take out the o2 and check if it runs fine. If it does could be a plugged cat.

Removed both 02's up top...very little if any change. Do you think it would be worth it to try removing the rears?
BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

No the rears are after the cats, wont make a difference

Could either of the cam sensors or throttle valve motor cause this? I'm really grabbing for straws.
BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

I dont think the throttle can make it happen but the cam sensors can. Did you the the dtc p1348 you had a while ago.

Could either of the cam sensors or throttle valve motor cause this? I'm really grabbing for straws. Not this time. I think at this point I'l try the intake sensor, or should I try exhaust first?
BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

ok.

Finally getting back on this car. Hope you're still there. I replaced the cam sensors, now I have 2 old codes and 3 new ones:
F1 DME Misfire cylinder #4
EE DME Misfire cyl. #1
37 DME Activation 02 sensor heater before cat bank 2
19 DME Activation, 02 sensor heater before cat bank 1
44 Activation, solenoid valve, tank ventilation.
Any more ideas?
Thanks
F1 DME Misfire cylinder #4
EE DME Misfire cyl. #1
Any more ideas?The generic codes are:P0030
P0050
P1348
P1349
Thanks
Gunvir Singh
Gunvir Singh
Gunvir Singh