BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I have BMW 1997 328I convertible. The problem is the top

Customer Question
I have BMW 1997 328I...
I have BMW 1997 328I convertible. The problem is the top won't go down.
I have had it down manually and the motors are kicked out in the trunk. I can get the one back in but the one the workers the top cover I can't get back in. So I went to put the top back up manually and now it is in bind the right side is higher than the left. And the screw that you use to do it manually comes out.
So currently the top is up approximately 8 in. And can't get it to do nothing
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: BMW
1/4/2017
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 10 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Check for any bent or damaged components that may be causing this fault here.I have seen several issues with bent or damaged components causing this fault here needing repaired or replaced.On some models the motors have to be timed when installed.If no bent or damaged components are found let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

I do not see where Eather motor could get bent. The one will engage. But the one for the top storage will not.
I still need to find out why the screw came out of the manual top release. That will need to work so I can get top all way down on the windshield and get it secured

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician