BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

Convertible top won't raise. Motor makes sound, red light

Customer Question
Convertible top won't raise....
Convertible top won't raise. Motor makes sound, red light blinks. Am I low on Hydraulic fluid?
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: 2003 BMW Z4
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It only blinks when I am trying to raise top. Does not blink when top is in down position
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all I know.
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: BMW
11/26/2016
BMW Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 12 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1- yes you could be low on fluid ,you need to check rear top hyrdraly pump reservoir, but usually if you are low you will see the leak on the ground

2- You will need a factory scanner or equivalent to read top module to see what is causing it, the flashing top light usually obstruction( bad micro switch)

is the rear trunk storage shelf in trunk open or close

let see if it lost its sync and we can manual reset it .

with top in closed position do this

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Thank you. Trying your reset process now.

OK SOUNDS GOOD, HOPE IT WORKS :)

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

No luck with reset. This is what happens. When I push and hold button to raise top, I hear motor sound for 7 seconds, but there is no visible movement of top. Then the sound stops and the light next to button blinks red and continues blinking red. Then I push the top down button and I hear the motor again for about 7 seconds and the red blinking light stops. The top never visually moves, but the motor sounds like it is "alive". There has never been any sign of hydraulic fluid on the ground. Can I easily check and add fluid to this system? I was able to manually pull the top up about 12 inches, but then I couldn't lower it. 10 minutes later is had lowered itself back to "home" down position. Is this a hydraulic fluid issue?

we need check fluid first

Checking fluid level: - Close convertible top - Position hydraulic unit vertically. - Fluid level must be within the markings. 1. Maximum 2. Minimum

Topping up fluid: - Open oil filler plug. 5AZ Oil filler plug to hydraulic unit ................................ 1 Nm - Hold hydraulic unit vertically and pour in required amount of fluid from a fluid bottle. - Check fluid level from time to time.

Where is hydraulic unit located and "how do I access it"? Is this something that is "easily accomplished" or is this more of a dealer issue? If I can fairly easily access the unit, I'm confident I can top off the fluid.

54 34 ... Opening/Closing Convertible Top In Event Of A Technical Fault Opening convertible top: Depending on the nature of the technical fault, perform one of the following tasks before opening the convertible top. All the tasks may be necessary in a few cases. - Open side windows

Automatic convertible top catch: - Press in cover (1) at top slightly and lever out towards bottom. - Turn screw with double offset hexagon socket key (on-board tool kit).

Convertible top hydraulics: - Open rear lid. - On left side, pull ring (1) to center and turn through 90°. - Place ring on holder (2). Opening convertible top: - If necessary, open convertible top by hand.

When opening the convertible top by hand, only grip in the middle of the front edge of the front bow. Closing convertible top: Depending on the nature of the technical fault, perform one of the following tasks before closing the convertible top. All the tasks may be necessary in a few cases. - Open side windows

Stowage lock: - Open rear lid. - Pull knob (1) towards rear on luggage compartment panel.

Convertible top hydraulics: - Open rear lid. - On left side, pull ring (1) to center and turn through 90°. - Place ring on holder (2).

utomatic convertible top catch: - Press in cover (1) at top slightly and lever out towards bottom. - Turn screw with double offset hexagon socket key (on-board tool kit).

Closing convertible top: - If necessary, close convertible top by hand. When closing the convertible top by hand, only grip in the middle of the front edge of the front bow.

75510bd3-041d-48c8-a48d-...gif75510bd...gif6879020e-da98-41ed-b4a7-...gif6879020...gif40e0f63f-7000-4d4d-ad17-...gif40e0f63...gif11e1ab7a-739b-48b8-919f-...gif11e1ab7...gif7585643c-ff0b-43d9-846d-...gif7585643...gif52c83433-47c5-42f0-818a-...gif52c8343...gifc5e35dc7-178f-4ca2-9d7f-...gifc5e35dc...gifd04e71f2-10af-43ce-a907-...gifd04e71f...gif

if the fluid is full and no top off needed and no visual leaks at that point I would scan it using a bmw scanner that can communicate with top module.and that will require dealer or equivalent scanner

try the fluid check first ,if not then you will need dealer .

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

I'm still not able to locate the hydraulic unit to check level of fluid. Are you suggesting that the top has to be removed to check this level?

no the top don have to be remove to top off fluid , just if you replacing the unit , but the interior trims has to be removed to access the pump on passenger side rear seat just like in the picture

i m sorry man , it is harder than it looks .

i sent all the diagrams showing the pump that i have

Chad

'

did you watch the video on it

i sent you a link was that nay help

pretty heavy duty video. Looks like this may be a dealer opportunity :-)

my suggestion will be best take to dealer & pay for diagnostic scanner to read the top module and let them tell you what is wrong ,and if it is to much money ,buy your own parts and take to independent shop ,will be cheaper .

IT is not easy to change that top yes, it is heavy duty work :)

Chad

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat