BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I have a 1995 E34; my tail and brake lights are not working.

Customer Question
All of the fuses are...
I have a 1995 E34; my tail and brake lights are not working. All of the fuses are fine. Can it be the main light switch has gone bad?
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: BMW
11/22/2016
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 12 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
what is the last 7 of the vin?
GF32403
Did you receive my last response?
I am reviewing your vehicle set up now.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

the lights on your vehilcle are controlled by the light control module, aka LCM or LKM

this is your likely failure.

I would double check all wiring to and from the rear lights and also unhook the vehicle battery for an hour to reset the LKM, but most likely it will need to be replaced. It is a common failure.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Where is the LKM located and, can it be bench tested?

there is no testing specs published for the LKM. it is located in the power distribution box in the engine bay. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

there is no testing specs published for the LKM. it is located in the power distribution box in the engine bay. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle. .

I need to check this out before I can know whether you helped me or not. If this is simply a light bulb issue and not the expensive LKM then, I will feel stupid.

how could all of your bulbs fail at the same time? that isn't possible.

as I have answered the question, please kindly select a positive rating. if you would like to follow up for any reason, or if you feel that you did not get an accurate answer, you can reply again here at any time or have your question refunded after leaving a positive rating today. thank you in advance.

I have a connection issue. One of the lights is now working. The $500 LKM is not my problem.
please see above.
I stated in my answer "I would double check all wiring to and from the rear lights "
therefore my answer is correct
please kindly select a positive rating to ensure I receive proper credit for my correct answer.
please see above where I stated in my answer "I would double check all wiring to and from the rear lights "
therefore my answer is correct
Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert